Monday, May 9, 2016

At Touro Jack Reed Spring Breakfast May 2, 2016

Yesterday I had the pleasure of being the guest of  Rabbi Mark and Jackie Mandel with other Newporters and friends  at the 27th annual Senator Jack Reed  Breakfast at Rhodes on the Pawtuxet in Cranston . Rabbi  Mandel, of Newport's Touro Synagogue, delivered  the benediction.  There was some perfunctory speechmaking but the event was extremely low-key. No major announcements, no impassioned pleas for support. Mostly we heard what a hard worker and inspiring leader Jack Reed is as the senior member of the Rhode Island congressional delegation. It was a good chance to meet and greet the Democratic  political leadership in Rhode Island. The entire congressional delegation was there as well as Jorge Elorza, the mayor of Providence and sundry other officeholders. Our table, number 45, was probably the only table where  the potatoes were not cooked in bacon. As I walked to my car in the parking lot a couple of people smilingly greeted me. They saw a yarmulke on my head, and assumed I was Rabbi Mandel.  I don't know how they could have made that error; the Rabbi is not known for wearing a green kippah!



Rabbi Marc Mandel, Jorge Elorza mayor of Providence, David Leach, Rita Slom.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment