Friday, March 30, 2018

A Little Piece of Heaven

At Touro Synagogue
March 30, 2018
Erev Pesach
A Little Piece of Heaven  
BLOG   FACEBOOK 

My day started at Zayde’s Market in Canton, Massachusetts.  Josh Ruboy and the team loaded up my car with the Passover order for the Seders at CJI. At the Levi-Gale house in Newport, Marcia Cohen, Eileen Kominsky, and Rabi Marc Mandel were waiting. 

Aaron Ginsburg with Josh Ruboy
If you didn’t sign up for the seder this year, I hope to see you next year. 

While I was in Newport, I had a chance to speak with longtime resident, Mrs. Namel Chadash

“So my kindele, I vant that you should know what happened to me this week when I was doing my Pesach shopping.

Eileen Kominksy, Rabbi Marc
Mandel, Marcia Cohen
"I had my hands on a beautiful bottle of schmaltz, you know, that lovely golden glob of cholesterol that's so good when its mixed into chopped liver. Lo and behold, next to me was my cardiologist. He looked at me, I looked at him. It was the last bottle of schmaltz on the shelf. 

"Vey iz mir, vat should I do? I knew my cardiologist wouldn’t let me forget my sin; I vould never hear the end of it. So my young ones, to make a long story short, I put the schmaltz back on the shelf. 
"So vat to you think happened? The second it got  back on the shelf, the cardiologist took it, and didn’t even look at me. 

"My children, I vant that you should think of me when you have chopped liver with schmaltz. And to my cardiologist, let me say, ‘You can count all the cholesterol you vant. You count, and I’ll enjoy the schmaltz.’

"Schmaltz, it’s liquid gold. Ok, maybe semi-solid gold. Life would not be complete if there wasn't schmaltz in this world.
Eileen Kominksy, Aaron
Ginsburg
, Marcia Cohen

"They say when the Ubershter, you know, that's the one up above, cried because his children, the children of Israel, were lost, those tears turned into schmaltz. So schmaltz is a little piece of heaven. And did I tell you, if we didn’t have schmaltz, we wouldn’t have gribenes.

"A gut yom tov!”

And a gut yom tov from Jewish Newport!

@tourosynagoguenewport @newportri 

No comments:

Post a Comment